It’s been a busy week down on the Ashram.
The tomatoes are in full bloom. So far I am doing a fairly good job of keeping them harvested and processed. This was the first year where I tried a wide variety of heirloom tomatoes in the garden. I planted Brandywine, Moskvich, Pruden’s Purple, Cherokee Purple, and Japanese Black Trifele.
I love the Moskvich. They are smaller round red tomatoes. They have all had an excellent flavor. The only downside to them this year is that they seem to have been the most susceptible to the septoria fungus which invaded our garden.
The Brandywine’s are solid (as usual). It’s always nice to have such a large meaty tomato in the garden. The Pruden’s Purple are similar to the Brandywine; however, I have found them to be less flavorful. A perfectly fine tomato, but I’m not sure I will be growing them again.
The Cherokee Purple have been awful. Even at an early stage the plants were stunted and sickly. At this point the plants have almost completely succumbed to the septoria (despite the organic fungicides) and the flavor of the fruit has been middling at best. The coloration of the tomatoes has also been less than I had hoped for. It is possible I got a batch of bad seeds; however, I will not be growing the Cherokee Purple again.
Finally, the Japanese Black Trifele have been very good. They have been almost as disease resistant as the Brandywine and have produced an abundance of medium sized pear shaped fruit with a very dark coloration. The Japanese Black Trifele grow in clumps of five or six which make for excellent picking and ripening. Their flavor has been excellent and mixed with the Brandywine or Moskvich, the darken up tomato sauce and salsa to a very pleasant color.
This is the first year I have planted cherry tomatoes and they have been largely disappointing. I tried Black Cherry, Indigo Rose, and Yellow Pear varieties. The Indigo Rose have failed spectacularly. They have a week flavor and fail to ripen. I have enjoyed the Yellow Pear in the past, but this year’s crop does not seem to have good flavor. The Yellow Pear was also the first of my tomatoes to be infected with Septoria. The Black Cherry have been very good with an excellent flavor. They are a little slow to ripen, but are definitely worth it.
Looking forward, there are a number of things we need to get done in the next week:
- Pick and process the first two plantings of sweet corn.
- Make pickle relish and jelly with the cucumbers I have neglected.
- Weed the barley field.
- Clean out the spring leak and broccoli beds.
- Finish threshing the winter wheat.
- Continue harvesting and processing the tomatoes.
- Install grape support wires on the trellis.
- Weed and mound potatoes.
- Clean the front and back porches.
- Catchup on laundry and clean the corners of the house.
On a final note, this was a rough week for the blog. The site had been having difficulty loading for a month or so. I finally got around to trying to clean up the database, and in the process destroyed it. This caused me to recreate the blog from scratch. That was entirely a bad thing, as the theme I was using was no longer being supported by WordPress (which may have been what was causing the problem). Saturday and Sunday was supposed to be my monthly writing retreat, instead it turned in to a blog reconstruction weekend (that task also spilled over into a good chunk of this week).
I think I finally have all of the important bits back up and running. Happily, the site does load more quickly now and is easier to update. Unfortunately, the time spent in the mechanics of the blog meant I neglected some of my writing for the week. I hope to be back to a nearly full blogging schedule next week, even as I clean up the last few details of the new blog’s format.